Monday, May 6, 2013

Savage River Tailwater May 1st

I fished the Savage the following afternoon. The water was up to 125 cfs and there was not a cloud in the sky today. The hendricksons were already coming off when I hit the water around 2:30. I still have not yet seen any larger fish taking bugs off the surface, so I stayed with nymphs all afternoon. Over the last two days I have caught every species of trout in the Savage: Brown, Brook, Rainbow, Cutthroat, and Golden Rainbow. The later three swim up from the North Branch of the Potomac while Brown and Brook trout spawn in the Savage. I have only fished about the first half mile of river upstream from the North Branch since I have been back, but from what I have seen so far the Savage has some of the best natural holding water of any river I have ever fished. There was one pool that I could not get to the bottom of with a 14 ft  leader! I can not wait to explore the tailwater more.

No comments:

Post a Comment