Monday, May 27, 2013

Carpe Diem Memorial Day


If you have read my earlier post on waters fly fishers forget about you may remember that I said I would have a picture of a 15 lbs carp soon. Well here it is. I spent 2 days trying to get one of these guys and I finally made the perfect cast and played the fish just right to bring it to net. My wife even fell ass backwards into the creek trying to net the thing (that's is why I love her), so I had to include her in one picture. After some research and a couple of days of observation , I figured out their feeding habits and it was game on. These fish are super challenging to catch and in most small rivers they are the biggest thing that swims. The fight was awesome after 5 seconds on the line I saw my backing and once I caught up it was a dog fight from there. I was using a 5wt and 4X, so I couldn't lean on it too much and I didn't have the power in the rod to lift the fish, but I brought it to net in 5 minutes. 7X and 20 inch rainbows on the San Juan in New Mexico taught me a lot about fighting fish and what not to do to break them off. I am hooked on carp fishing pun intended.







2 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool. What river were you fishing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a small river in the pan handle of West Virginia called Patterson Creek. There are a lot of those kinds of rivers in that area some have more public access than others.

    ReplyDelete