Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Spring Brookies on the Savage River Watershed

I had a chance to fish in a couple of spots on the upper Savage River Watershed over the last two days and the fishing was great. The water temps are in the low to mid 40s and flows are in great shape. There are little black stones emerging, but the fish aren't taking bugs off the surface with any consistency. Nymphing in pockets with slow to moderate current will produce the best results. I did catch a couple of rainbows while in the brook trout water and I took both of them home for dinner. I encourage any one who fishes these waters to do the same. DNR still stocks the lower river just above the reservoir and we do not need Rainbows establishing any sort of self sustaining population. The southern Appalachians have had a serious problem with rainbows out competing brookies and we do not need that here. 


Nice 10 inch Brookie


 Beautiful Waterfall


Please take Rainbows home for Dinner!



Typical Savage River Watershed Brook Trout




2 comments:

  1. Great info here and some nice fish. Just caught my biggest brookie at 12 1/2 inches on the upper savage nymphing as well. My cousin also caught another just under 12 inches. only his 2nd fish on the fly rod!! Amazing place to fish. Keep the Updates coming, I really enjoy reading and watching the videos on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. Thanks for the support! If you have pictures of brookies bigger than 12 inches send me pics so I can post them. I love proving the DNR guys wrong.

    ReplyDelete